A colleague asked me to do some research on web design trends. He knows that every web designer is following what he or she believes is the hottest trends (or the trend they understand), but is there a master list of trends? As it turns out, there isn't one master list of trends, so after looking at several documents -- and taking into accounts conversations I've had with people about web design -- I gave him the following list:
- Creating web sites that are optimized to be indexed well by search engines (and hopefully be ranked well)
- Designing with standards in mind -- standards should ensure that the site is available to all (including those who are sight impaired) and international users, etc.
- The internationalization of the web -- okay...this didn't come up in any article, but the W3C is "hot" on it. (http://www.w3c.org)
- Use cascading style sheets (CSS), XML, etc. to create more robust, yet easier to maintain web sites.
- Content management software -- this allows the client to do the content maintenance.
- A clean visual style (http://www.webdesignfromscratch.com/current-style.cfm)
- Creating web site that can be viewed on any Internet enabled device. (This has been mentioned at conferences I attend, but I don't think was mentioned in any of the articles I saw.)
- Web 2.0 tools -- understanding them and possibly integrating into web sites.
- Using the "new" tools (e.g., AJAX, flash, mashups) appropriately.
If someone asked you to list current web design trends, what would you include? What did I miss?
If you look for articles or web pages that talk about web design trends, you'll find a lot of different stuff. Here are some of the web pages/articles that I found interesting:
- Build for the Future: Bend, Don’t Break, http://www.digital-web.com/articles/build_for_the_future_bend_dont_break/
- 2006 Web Technology Trends, http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/2006_web_technology_trends.php
- The Biggest Web Trend of 2007 Will Be... , http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/biggest_web_trend_2007.php
- Current Trends In Web Design, http://www.ontoinfo.com/2006/09/13/current-trends-in-web-design/
- Web Trends 2007 for Web Developers, http://www.baekdal.com/articles/Technology/web-trends-2007/
- Is it time to upgrade your skills?, http://www.baekdal.com/articles/Management/upgrade-your-skills/
- 13 Design rules that every Web site designer should know about, http://www.builderau.com.au/webdev/sitedesign/soa/13-Design-rules-that-every-Web-site-designer-should-know-about/0,339024698,320265086,00.htm (still good advice)
- Web Standards. Should my Business Website be Compliant?, http://evolt.org/web_standards_should_my_business_website_be_compliant
- Current web style, http://www.webdesignfromscratch.com/current-style.cfm
- Trends in Web Design, Internet Marketing, and Internet Names, http://www.clickfire.com/viewpoints/articles/internet_trends.php